Mental Health at Your Pharmacy
I find this phenomenon amazing. If you struggle with the complexity of the medical system, seek help at your local pharmacy. Here are a few that offer mental health services.
Organizations That Help People with Mental Illness
The National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) is a grassroots organization that provides support, education, and advocacy to people with mental illness and their families. They have over 600 affiliates across the United States and offer education programs, support groups, and advocacy initiatives aimed at improving the mental health care system. https://nami.org/Home
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) is a government agency that leads public health efforts to advance the behavioral health of the nation. They offer numerous resources, including a 24/7 national helpline (1-800-662-HELP), treatment locator tools, and educational materials on various mental health and substance abuse topics. https://www.samhsa.gov
The Jed Foundation is a nonprofit organization that promotes mental health and suicide prevention among young adults. They offer a variety of resources, including a mental health Resource Center, online self-check tool, and educational materials on how to support someone struggling with mental illness. https://jedfoundation.org
American Psychological Association (APA) is the largest professional organization for psychologists in the United States. They offer resources and support for mental health professionals, as well as educational materials for the public on various mental health topics. https://www.apa.org
National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) is a government agency that conducts research aimed at understanding and treating mental illness. They offer educational resources on various mental health topics, as well as information on clinical trials and research studies related to mental health. https://www.nimh.nih.gov
The Trevor Project is a national organization that provides crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to LGBTQ+ youth. They offer a variety of resources, including a 24/7 crisis hotline (1-866-488-7386), online chat resources, and educational materials for mental health professionals and educators. https://www.thetrevorproject.org
Makeitok.org is a website dedicated to reducing the stigma surrounding mental health by providing resources, stories, and tips for people to better support their own mental health and the mental health of others. https://makeitok.org
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) provides an extensive section on their website devoted to mental health, including information on various mental health conditions, risk factors, and treatment options. https://www.cdc.gov/mentalhealth/
The National Association of State Mental Health Program Directors (NASMHPD) offers a list of mental health links and resources for individuals, families, and providers, including information on advocacy, research, crisis help, and more. https://www.nasmhpd.org/content/mental-health-links
Mental Health America (MHA) is a leading advocacy organization focused on improving mental health outcomes for individuals and communities across the United States. Their website offers a suite of resources, including tools for self-care, information on mental health conditions and treatment, and resources for advocacy and support. https://www.mhanational.org/living-mentally-healthy
Because of the pandemic, laws and rules affecting telemedicine were relaxed. This is how I met with my psychiatrist during that time. The predicted government rollback on telemedicine hasn’t happened so take advantage of this option if getting mental health help in person isn’t available or possible for you.
· BetterHelp https://www.betterhelp.com Offers therapy services with licensed professionals via messaging, video, and phone calls.
· Talkspace https://www.talkspace.com/Allows users to access therapy services through messaging and live video sessions with licensed therapists.
· MDLive https://www.mdlive.com/mental-health Provides virtual appointments with licensed psychiatrists and therapists.
· Cerebral https://getcerebral.com/ Provides online therapy with licensed providers and medication management services for mental health conditions.
· Pride Counseling https://www.pridecounseling.com Provides therapy services specifically for the LGBTQ+ community with licensed professionals via messaging, video, and phone calls.
· PlushCare https://www.plushcare.com/mental-health Provides access to licensed mental health professionals for therapy and medication management for patients 18 and older.
· ThriveTalk https://www.thrivetalk.com
· Lemonaid Health https://www.lemonaidhealth.com
· For Hers https://www.lemonaidhealth.com
Who doesn’t love free stuff? Here’s a list of free psychotherapy workbooks, coloring books, surveys, guides, pamphlets, and other items you might find useful in the management of your mental illness and mental health.
Offers a free online cognitive behavioral therapy workbook.
A website that provides mental health workbooks for individuals dealing with mental health issues.
Offers worksheets and activities for group or individual therapy.
Provides free printable PDF workbooks, manuals, and self-help guides.
A website that offers an adult coloring book as a form of stress relief and relaxation.
Offers a free newsletter subscription for mental health and wellness tips.
A website that provides mental health coloring pages for adults.
A website that offers a free wellness resource providing inspiration and motivation for staying well.
A website that provides free downloadable coloring pages as a stress relief and mindfulness activity.
A website that provides a library of free printables and mental health resources.
Free mental health worksheets.
A website that offers publications related to mental health issues, including brochures and fact sheets.
Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration https://www.samhsa.gov/find-help Provides free resources for people with mental health and substance use disorders, including tips for self-care, stress management, and information about treatment options.
· MoodGYM https://moodgym.com.au A free online cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) program to help individuals manage their symptoms of depression and anxiety.
· Centre for Clinical Interventions https://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/Resources/Looking-After-Yourself Provides free workbooks and worksheets for people experiencing depression, anxiety, trauma, and other mental health conditions.
· 7 Cups https://www.7cups.com An online platform that offers free emotional support and counseling through chat and message-based communication with trained listeners and therapists.
· Headspace https://www.headspace.com/ Provides mindfulness and meditation exercises to help individuals manage stress, anxiety, and other mental health challenges. They offer free resources and a seven-day free trial.
· American Psychological Association https://www.apa.org/helpcenter Provides free resources and articles on various mental health topics on its website.
· National Eating Disorders Association https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/help-support Offers a range of free resources, including support groups, helplines, blog articles, and downloadable resources for individuals experiencing eating disorders.
Anxiety and Depression Association of America https://adaa.org/resources-professionals Offers free resources and educational materials on anxiety disorders, depression, and related conditions.